KOTA KINABALU: Chief Minister Datuk Seri Panglima Haji Hajiji Haji Noor presented victory incentives totalling RM383,116 to Sabah athletes who won medals at the 33rd SEA Games and the 13th ASEAN Para Games in Thailand last year.

“I hope these incentives will serve as motivation for you to continue striving further. Do not regard today’s success as the end point, but rather as a stepping stone to achieve even greater heights.

“To the coaches and families, your support is the backbone of these achievements,” said Hajiji at the incentive presentation ceremony held at Dewan Bankuasi, Menara Kinabalu, on Tuesday.

A total of 91 athletes from Sabah represented the country at the 2025 SEA Games and helped the national contingent secure five gold, 14 silver, and 11 bronze medals.

Meanwhile, at the ASEAN Para Games, 22 Sabah athletes were selected and achieved great success, bringing home 14 gold, nine silver, and four bronze medals.

A total of RM146,500 in incentives was awarded to medal winners of the 33rd SEA Games, while the ASEAN Para Games medal winners received a payday of RM236,616.

“The State Government is extremely proud of the achievements shown by all Sabah athletes who took part and won medals at the 33rd SEA Games and the 13th ASEAN Para Games held in Thailand.

“The Sabah Government is also proud of the outstanding achievements of two Paralympic athletes who became the backbone of our medal haul at the recent ASEAN Para Games, namely swimmer Abdul Halim bin Mohammad and track athlete Ivan Jovic Suan, both of whom are coincidentally from the Tuaran district,” he said.

Abdul Halim won five gold medals in individual events, setting four new records, as well as one silver and one bronze medal in team events.

Abdul Halim, who was also named Malaysia’s Best Male Athlete at the 2025 ASEAN Para Games by the Malaysia Paralympic Council (MPM), was the largest incentive recipient today.

As for Ivan, his achievement of winning three gold medals, including one new record, came as a major surprise in Southeast Asia’s sprint events, considering the athlete is only 18 years old.

The Chief Minister said the State Government would continue allocating substantial and consistent funding to ensure more activities could be carried out and to provide modern sports infrastructure from time to time to meet athletes’ needs for more efficient and safer training.

“Through the sports policy we have planned, the Government is working towards cultivating a sports culture and improving the health level of the people of the state by providing equal opportunities to all segments of society.

“I believe the Sabah Ministry of Youth Development, Sports Advancement and Creative Economy under the leadership of Datuk Haji Nizam Datuk Seri Panglima Abu Bakar Titingan and Dato’ Sri Dr Anil Sandhu, who are always youthful in spirit, will continue striving to plan more comprehensive and effective development for Sabah to achieve an even more admirable level of progress,” he said.

At the same time, the Chief Minister also urged all parties involved in sports development, including coaches, managers and athletes, to fully utilise all facilities provided to enhance achievements in their respective sports.

“This includes ensuring greater success, not only at the national level but also on the international stage,” he said.-pr /BNN